Wednesday, February 11, 2009

When can I get in a run?

It is Wed. Third day of Search AM bootcamp training. The day that I deliver all the material. I was supposed to have a meeting at 5pm right after class and a meeting at 7pm in Pasadena. Trying to figure out when I could add in a 4 mile run was a challenge.

Aside from time, I am also dealing with some stiff calves and general pains and pings in my feet and knees. I am starting to feel my low back and hips tighten up a little more than normal. The good news is that I had my gym gear with me- including my shoes :)

As luck would have it (or not for the class?) the last two presenters weren't able to attend the session. So it is 3:30p and class was done. I manage to get my 5pm meeting pushed to Thursday and I go off to the gym!

The day before I used the same 1hr iPod song mix. On Tues for my 3 mile run, I walked the majority of the time between 3.2- 3.4 miles/hour and jogged at 5.2/miles/hour for few songs. For my 4 mile workout today, I actually jogged (at 5.2 miles/hour) for FOUR songs instead of THREE songs (I added a jog to the first song on my playlist "Ain't No Other Man"- Christina Aguilera).

This is the first run where I got my heart rate up to 180 (according to the treadmill) and had a little trouble catching my breath afterwards. I'm not sure if I am fighting off a cold of just have a lot of phlegm, but I feel a little wheeze in my chest. Maybe it was a result of this being the first MAJOR cardio workouts I have been doing since I quite smoking? For whatever reason, I felt it, but I tried to use a tactic I learned in the Non-Runner's Marathon Training Guide book.

I tell myself that the breathing felt strange (I recognized it), but then tell myself "it doesn't matter." I'm not dying. (I can. I will. I am able.) I recognize those feelings and asked them to come run with me. Recognize the shin splints and told them to join me in the run. Recognize the pain in my knee and ask it to join me in my run.

After the run I felt great. Worn out. I stretched out my legs, my hips and my back on the mat. Then I went to the locker room and grabbed my stuff. I didn't have enough time to change before heading home to meet Arleigh and head off to Pasadena.

No comments:

Post a Comment