Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Sushi never tastes so good as when you earn it...

This is week four of my official training for the marathon. That means my schedule is to do 3/5/3 miles during the week and 8 miles for my long run. It has been a constant challenge to figure out when I can work my runs into the week, when I work 8-10hrs 5 days a week, go to meetings 5-6x a week, rehearse 3x a week and tutor once a week. Its exhausting just writing all my commitments!

So when I looked at my calendar today and saw there was not a lot of time between meetings, I looked up at Hirono and asked her if she would like walk to sushi? The closest sushi place to our office is California Roll & Sushi in the Empire Center- near the Burbank Airport. It is a little under 1.5 miles away from our office and so walking there and back makes for close to 3 miles.

At about 11:30am I pinged Hirono and asked her if she wanted to go. She was game, so I pulled on my running shoes, grabbed my shades and my money, and we ventured out. We walked at a medium pace (18.43 minute mile) and made it down the street past the construction, in and out of the shade.

We got to the sushi place and sat down and had lunch, the walked back. I tell ya, having a bento box and spicy tuna hand roll with no rice never tastes as good as it does with a little bit of perspiration on your upper lip from walking to the restaurant. I feel like I earn it! like its ok for me to spend $12 on lunch :)

I love doing these walks with Hirono. We have gotten so much closer over the last couple months and I know so much of it has to do with the training. That is a definite WIN for this Marathon stuff!

No comments:

Post a Comment