Tuesday, February 10, 2009

There's a six thirty AM?

I was so disappointed that I didn't pack my shoes yesterday that I convinced myself before I went to sleep, that I would get up early and go to the gym in the morning before class. Last Jan, I was able to commit to a 7am Yoga class at my office gym, so I thought that this shouldn't be too bad.

My alarm rang at 6:30am- its cold, my cat, Jerry, is nuzzled in with me, the blankets are warm- I hit snooze. 6:38am- its still cold, Jerry has moved, blankets are still warm and I promise myself I can throw on my gym clothes fast- I hit snooze again. 6:46am- if I don't get up now, I won't get up at all. I somehow manage to motivate and turn off my alarm and get up.

I throw on (well, it actually took about 15 mins) my running gear and made sure I had my work clothes in my bag to change into at the gym. I grab a banana, some yogurt, my "joint juice" and start my car and load it. Kiss my sleeping husband goodbye and get in the car by 7am.

Its surprising how quickly I can get to work when I leave early! I pulled into the parking garage at 7:16am. I walked to the gym, got my stuff in a locker, made a pit stop and hopped on a machine. I started my trek at 7:40am and was in front of a flat panel TV that had an old episode of Tales From the Darkside, starring a young Allison Sweeny (host of my current favorite show- Biggest Loser") as a psychic kid who can tell when someone is going to die. Fun to watch without sound.

I was listening to my 1 hr workout mix and walking at a 3.2- 3.4 mile an hour pace. This morning I actually managed to jog (@ 5 mile an hour pace) for an entire song- three times! Granted they were initially pretty short songs (Phantom Planet's "Badd Business" & "Big Brat") and then a normal length song (Garbage "Cherry Lips (Go Baby Go)). I was able to get my pace to an average of a 15 minute mile by the end of my 47 min work out and completed my 3 miles for today!

Tomorrow I am going to try the same thing. I have 4 miles to do, so I can't indulge in the snooze bar. Or I may skip my evening meeting and just do it at the gym after work. I can get over there by 5:45pm if I choose to do that. I guess I'll just play it by ear.

I also found out I might have to be out of town for business the month of March- which is kind of disappointing and flattering all at the same time. The big bummer is that I will have to cancel a band gig on 3/15 and might not be able to do my half marathon on 3/22. But I guess if I am in the middle of Nebraska for a month, there might not be much to do but run... I mean... jog/walk. or who knows... I might actually become a runner out of this? Anything is possible.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Noelle! That's dedication, girl! You are so inspiring! It would be a bummer that you may end up missing the Pasadena Half. Speaking of which, I guess I better get serious about my training soon .. hee hee.

    ReplyDelete