Friday, February 27, 2009

Talladega (Friday) Nights

One thing I have learned so far is trying to do more than 4 miles on the treadmill gets incredibly boring. Even when I alternate jogging with power walking, 4 miles still takes me 1+ hour. This week seemed so tough to squeeze any time in to go out for a walk or to even get a walk in at lunch time. I decided to sacrifice some of my date night and go to the gym after work.

My training had 3/5/3 on the schedule for the week's short runs. Then this weekend I need to try to attempt 8- even though I will be in Palm Desert for the Y! Sales Conference, I am still optimistic that I can squeeze it in. I am driving out there with my running partner, Hirono and she and I talked about carving out some time on Sunday to do it outside and enjoy the oasis they have us staying at. We haven't seen the agenda yet- but are sure they can't have us booked for every second. I expect the 8 miler will probably take me a good 2.5 hours or so. We'll see.

For tonight, I am just trying to get 5 done. So I go to the gym, get suited up in my running capris, strap 'em down bra, wrap-em-up knee braces (I love my new velcro brace with boning. Its been great for my left knee!) and my purple 'do-rag. (always bleeding purple!) I lace up my Brooks and get out to the treadmill.

The gym at my work has 4- 40" flat panel TVs up in front of a row of ellipticals, treadmills and bikes. The first one was tuned to TBS and I was quickly drawn to the movie playing- Taledega Nights. I turned on my iPod to record my distance but plugged my headphones into the TV. I started jogging at the commercial breaks- went for 4 mins on the longest one- and then speed walked during the film. Dammit- if that time didn't fly by! That movie is great for working out to! "Dear tiny infant baby Jesus..."

Needless to say, I was there for 1.22 hours and finished 5.07 miles. While my knees almost buckled on the stairs leaving, I felt really good for getting that in. Now its off to enjoy one day of weekend and on to the sales conference on Sunday! Hirono and I have to leave at like 8am to get there on time... ROAD TRIP!

No comments:

Post a Comment