Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Will Walk for Sushi

Its so nice to be back to the office with Hirono again. I was sharing with her tales of Omaha, how great it was, how sick I got and the time I did manage to get my walks in. She was really proud of me! Between catching up and filling me in on what I missed- which included some very big news for Hirono- she agreed to walk with me to our Sushi place in Empire Center.

We as we walked we talked about things- like the tornado, the class, the weather in Omaha. We talked about past colleagues and how they are doing. And then we addressed the elephant in the room.

Hirono had told me the last week I was in Omaha (though I promised I wouldn't say anything till it was public) that she was going to be leaving Yahoo! and taking a job in the Healthcare industry as a trainer/ instructional designer. It sounded like an AWESOME move for her, as she would have people reporting to her, continue to do what she is incredibly good at (ID) and be challenged everyday. Not to mention that she would be working with people she knew from past jobs, so there was definitely a comfort level coming into that job.

I know I will miss her madly. She and I have gotten incredibly close since the RIFF in Dec. With it being just the two of us at the office as part of our small team, we have learned to rely on one another. She has been my cheerleader and my confidant. She's been to my house, on a road trip with me, knows more than almost anyone at the office about my true nature and continues to inspire me, as well. I hope I have been to her even half of what she has been to me.

To and from the sushi place today was 2.42 miles and took us 46.5 mins. Leisurely and nice- gorgeous weather, a little hot, and lovely.

It looks like she will be leaving a week from today on 4/7- so everyday that we are at work together I am going to try to get her to come to lunch with me and get my Hirono fix before she leaves. I have never been more inspired in my marathon training, than when I am running with Hirono. It will be weird without her...

No comments:

Post a Comment