Sunday, April 19, 2009

17 miles in 90 degree heat

I was really excited and gung-ho about this walk today. I knew I got up a little later than I had wanted. I knew it the first min I stepped outside and felt like it was already 80 degrees at 10:45am. But I felt prepared. I had slathered on sunblock all over my uncovered skin. My hair has become long enough to pull back in a ponytail and leave off the do'rag. I had just received my new hi-tech fanny pack from eBay, so I had a place for my cell phone, ID, money, iPod, AND two water bottle holders for my Gatorade! I wore a pair of Lycra leggings under my knee braces with powder under them- to combat the continuing heat rash issue. I was freaking ready to rock!

I mapped out the route I would take this weekend last night. I decided I would head to Griffith Park. When I looked online, getting to the tennis courts on Riverside was only 7 miles, but if I went into the park a little ways, I could reach 8 miles and then turn it around to complete my planned 16 miler.

I started out walking down Mission to Broadway and took that big hill up and over to Lincoln Height HS. I could see downtown skyline to my right as I cruised down the rest of the street. I was already noticing it getting hotter, so I started re-planning my route based on where I could find shade. I didn't want to crap out early or drink all my Gatorade too quickly and have to pee. I feel like I have been learning that lesson as I go- to not GULP the liquid even when I feel thirsty and to take mouthfuls even when I don't feel thirsty.

I cut over to Ave 26 and took it to Figueroa- walking over the 110 FWY. Down Figueroa past Home Depot and onto Riverside. I noticed that there was a bike path along the LA Rive that seemed to start right there. I had been WONDERING where that started! All last week coming to work I saw people riding their bikes alongside the 5 FWY and wanted to see if I could find my way there- and here it was!

So I hopped off the main road and onto the trail. Walking along the LA River (or rather the "LA Trickle" where I was) was quite beautiful. And also a little scary. A lot of it was cement and graffiti and I walked past a group of students/ juvenile offenders that were picking up trash with a vehicle following them. There were some stray dogs who barked and followed me. Lots of lizards, lots of herons, lots of ducks (especially as the river started being more than a trickle. It looked to have its own wetlands in the middle)

There were people fishing in the river, babies playing in the river and it got hot enough that I was starting to wonder if swimming in the river wasn't such a bad idea. I knew it looked gross and a little infected- but MY GOD it was brutal!

I was starting to wonder if picking this LA River trail was a good idea or not? I didn't see any place where the trail connected back to Riverside and I had been walking for a while. Finally I saw a freeway up ahead that was going perpendicular to my path and I realized it was the 2 FWY.

The path I was on started to wind up to a gate that reached a street. It was Fletcher. I walked through the decorative gates that I had seen border some of this path and saw a sign that said RATTLESNAKE PARK. Wow. Rattlesnakes, huh? Had I know that was the name of the park, maybe I wouldn't have ventured into the high grass along the side- the only shade I could find on the trail as I walked. Oh well- so far so good.

I kept drinking swallows of Gatorade as I went, but by the time I reaches mile #7 I was already feeling a little weak. I had eaten some oatmeal before I left to power the walk- but it was either not enough or too recent to be fueling this walk. I had had pasta the night before- but I guess it wasn't enough. At least I had a couple sugary snacks with me too. I ate a tootsie pop and started to feel better. But I had a sugary residue in my mouth that wasn't really helped by the Gatorade- which was getting hot.

I looked ahead to my last mile before I turned around- it was already 12:30p and I saw a stretch alongside the 5 FWY that had no shade up to the sign for the Colorado exit. I decided to do it. Just get to the Colorado Exit sign and turn back. I knew I would be in straight up sun, but I was coming around the half-way point. It would be fine.

I took a look at my hands- which often get a little swollen during these walks and they were REALLY swollen. I felt like my fingers were sausages about to explode! My wedding ring looked like it was getting tighter. I was having trouble opening my Gatorade bottle top, since grasping things wasn't comfortable.

As I got closer to the sign for Colorado I pulled out my iPod and saw I was already at 8.5 miles. I guess I wont be going into Griffith Park, but just stay on the other side of the freeway from it. At least I could see the golf course from where I am. I got pretty darn far!

No need to push it here- everything in my body was saying turn around, so I did. I started walking back toward the shade- knowing it was a couple miles out. I also decided I would get off the trail as soon as a street came up (Fletcher) and walk down to the nearest gas station (Chevron) to get some COLD water and maybe fill my empty Gatorade bottle with ice.

Turning around on that path was a mixed bag. I was now walking against the cars on the 5 FWY, so there was a breeze from the cars- even though it was a HOT breeze- it was at least some movement. I was starting to feel tired. I just kept telling myself I was already half way done- or more! I felt like I had a piece of something in my shoe, too. With all those thoughts rattling around, I looked over to my left back at the river and saw horses crossing from their stables across the way. That was calming- but it was still HOT.

I finally arrived at the Fletcher break in the trail and got to Chevron. I bought a liter of COLD water and chugged half of it right then. I asked the guy who was working there and watching a Lakers game, if he didn't mind me actually spending a few mins in the air conditioning before I went back out. His ice machine wasn't working- or I would've filled up my Gatorade bottle there, too.

AS I left, I tried to unpause my workout on the iPod and instead it ENDED IT! I hate when that happens. At least I am not so crazy about it as I was when I started. Instead, I just started a new workout and figured, in the end, I am the one who knows how far I have gone- this is just a way to track it for myself, no one else. And while I like having my little Mini Me reflect the right amount of miles I did in one trek and I like getting that kudos from Lance Armstrong, that's not what makes or breaks this for me. I feel like I have grown a lot in the last couple months.

I got back on the trail and was happy to see a lot of shade as I went. While the time didn't seem to slip as quickly as when I was on the first part of this journey- it wasn't dragging as badly as it was before the water. I was contemplating calling my husband and seeing if he could pick me up- but on the other hand contemplating finishing. I kept looking for landmarks so I could tell him where to meet me, and kept not finding any- like I was supposed to do this on my own. So I forged ahead.

Right about then, my phone rang. It was a friend who needed some advice. It was a nice break in my thought flow to think about someone else and what they needed. Even though we only talked for a few minutes- it definitely seemed to carry me even farther forward. I was almost at the end of the bike path and about 13 miles into this walk.

I came off the trail when I had met it, under the 5/ 110 FWY overpass. I started walking onto Figueroa, back the way I came. I stopped in at the Circle K to get more COLD water and their ice machine was working. So I filled up my Gatorade bottle with ice, bought a water, spend a min in the AC and took off again.

While I wish I had a fully renewed sense of the journey, the last leg of my walk was still pretty brutal. It was almost 3pm- the sun was still high- and I was headed up Broadway. I didn't realize this on the way out (cuz it was downhill) but the walk is a gradual incline all the way for 5 blocks. By the time I made it over, I was feeling worked. I knew I just needed one foot in front of the other to make it.

I finally made it around to my block and then one last hill. "I can do this, I will do this, I am doing this" I was saying to myself. I saw some neighbors- but couldn't muster enough breath to say hello. I made it to our gate and went in the house. I went right to the sink to soak my hands in cold water- they felt so big. My husband took an "after" pic to go with the before one at the top of this entry.

I took my first "ice bath" after this walk. Well- closest thing to an "ice bath" I peeled off my sweaty clothes and say in the tub with the water as cold as I could get it. I soaked my feet- which were ACHING and my hands, till they became a little more normal sized and less throbby. I noticed after the bath and shower that my ankle was stiff, i got heat rash on only ONE calf (woo hoo!) and i got sun burnt! Even though i had on all the lotion- it crept through between the tank tops. Oh well. More to learn from. I figure this walk was probably the closest to what I will experience in MAY. I know the LA Marathon is starting at 7:10am- but if it takes me 7-8 hrs, I will be walking at the same time I did today for the last half. If I could make it through today, without anyone with me, no support, no aid stations, I can DEF make it through the marathon. I can't wait to tell Hirono about it. After I finish icing. Its still freaking HOT out!

No comments:

Post a Comment