Monday, March 30, 2009

Jasmine and Orange Blosom in the Air

I am back in CALI! I am just getting over the jet-lag (and the fallen tree in my front yard... long story) and so glad I took today off from work to recuperate after my travel. I am taking off today and tomorrow, and then Friday for my b-day!

I am hoping that I can start getting back into my original training mode, where I was actually doing the weekday short(-ish) runs and the weekend long runs. So far I have not missed a weekend long run- even if the run didn't fall on the weekend or I was a little short on the miles, at least I did it!

So today, I did the 14 miler that was planned for the weekend. I took a look online on google maps to find a path. Now- those of you who know I work for Yahoo!- I know its almost blasphemous for me to be using a G product. But they actually have the functionality I need! I've tried Yahoo! maps- but unless you have a specific beginning and end spot- and can assume the mileage is the same on foot as in the car, its not much help. I have tried Mapmyrun.com - but I don't want to sign up for a premium account, so I have ads that get in the way, and also the navigation of the routes is hard to chart. My neighborhood doesn't seem to look right on that map. Google Maps actually has a "walking" route technology which lets me plot my course from my house to wherever I want to go and back- so that's just what I did.

I decided I should be plotting out my course somewhere familiar, so I went with heading into Pasadena. I found out that if I walked from my house down Huntington to Oak Knoll, then left on Oak Knoll into San Marino, past the old Ritz Carlton (now the Langham) to the intersection with California and Lake. Left on California across to Arroyo, left on Arroyo, right on Glenoaks, left on Fair Oaks and Right on Monterrey. Then take Monterrey up and over hill into Hermon and then the crazy hill back into my neighborhood. Plenty of ups & downs, plenty of beautiful houses to look at and plenty of stores/ restaurants (in case I need a pit stop or another drink). I mapped it out and it was 14 miles on the map.

I knew I would need a little more than 4 hours, since our virtual half marathon took us 4hrs., so I got out of the house at 11am. I couldn't have asked for a nicer day. A little cool when I left so I had on a sweatshirt. Actually the real reason I had the sweatshirt on is to keep my stuff. I am finding that I might need something else to keep my stuff for these long runs. I bought a Camelbak water pack, but the first time I tried walking with it I felt a little like a BORG from Star Trek, with tubes going in and out of everywhere- plus the water didn't really stay that cool. I think it was a good investment and will be helpful for hiking and other outdoor activities, but not for long run/ jog/ walks.

The sweatshirt has pockets, so things like my blackberry (in case I need to call for a ride), ID (in case I die and need to be identified), some cash (in case I need to hop on a bus or buy a big mac), house keys (to get back home in the event I finish this walk) a granola bar (for quick protein) and small sugary snacky things (I read that skittles and gummy candy were good for those quick bumps, so I have been bringing trick-or treat sized ones). The one thing the sweatshirt does not have is a zipper on the pockets, so I am safety pinning them- not the best. Plus I am not as fond of my iPod armband, so I have that in the pocket, too. and I am carrying my water bottle (its a Nebraska Husker's bottle I was given as a parting gift from my class. Very cool@!)

So when it starts getting warmer and I have to take this sweatshirt off and wrap it around my waist, part of the walk becomes and exercise in balance- making sure nothing falls out of the pockets as I walk at my 17.5min/ mile pace.

It was really cool to walk sections of town that I normally drive. I feel like I can get anywhere I need to, whether I had my car or not. I know that when I tell people where I went they will be like- WOW that was FAR!. Plus I actually got to look at the houses I always drive by- especially in San Marion. OMG those houses are GORGEOUS! I normally am driving 25 miles and hour- not walking 3.5miles. Just beautiful.

It felt so good to be outside today and not in the office. I was smelling jasmine and orange blossoms as I went. Feeling spring. Feeling alive. Sending texts to friends to break the monotony of one foot in front of the other- and then reminding myself to focus on that one foot in front of the other. My shins stopped hurting after the 2nd mile- as they have been lately- and I managed to stop to stretch them out and my calves, too.

As I walked down California, I saw a friend's friend and her dad walking toward me. She totally didn't recognize me, and I guess it didn't help that I forgot her name at that moment. Oh well, funny to see other people out in the middle of a Monday. Its like we were all playing hooky and just living for the day.

It was a long one today, but I did it. My pace didn't really drag or slow down, I was consistent over the walk. I had a little trouble with the hill on Monterrey, but I did what the book said and kept the positive self talk going- "I can do this, I am doing this, I will do this" and then when I got over the hump- it was all cake from there.

The only downside when I got home was the heat rash I found on the back of my calves. I am not sure if its really heat rash- but it definitely hurts. Its under where my knee brace goes. I had a little of this in Omaha- but I thought it was because it was so DRY there! (Don't even start me on the dandruff I got while I was out there- which has thankfully gone away with my return to LA). I will put on some lotion and see what happens with these "burns" on my calves and back of my knee.

At this point, I should really get real- I have not run/ jogged anything on this walk. I DID complete 14 miles- but it was a walk. Potentially a power-walk? But not a walk/ jog and definitely not a RUN. But you know- I am ok with that. My knees don't hurt, my ankle is a little stiff, but I am not throbbing or heaving like I was when I first tried this. Maybe if I had a little less weight on my frame, I would be more confident in jogging for real- but its not going to disappear overnight- so I have to be good with where I am NOW. And I am. I just finished 14.5 F**King miles in 4hrs and 15 mins! YEA BOI!

No comments:

Post a Comment