Friday, May 22, 2009

Last training run...

I am almost done writing a Thank you note to all my friends and family who have been supporting me and its off to the gym. Its Friday before the race, before the holiday, before the weekend. No one is at the office anymore and all my work is done.

It so strange to think this is the last training run? I had dinner with Hirono last night. She is so amazing. She is going to come with me to the Runner's expo on Sunday to pick up our bibs. She even mentioned that she might meet me along the race route and go a mile with me to encourage me. How could I be so blessed!!

On top of the fact that she bought dinner last night, she also got me a "post race" kit, replete with a full Bath & Body works splurge! Shea butter foot cream, foot scrub, loofah, mint spritz, sanitizing gel. Plus some great warnings about port-a-potties on the race track, what to bring with and what to leave behind and other awesome tidbits that were worrying me for not knowing.

I am recognizing so much of what these last 5 months has meant to me. I have made a lot of tough decisions. I haven't been as perfect as I would have liked to have been, but I am perfectly human. And this time, I am giving myself the grace to be just that- instead of punishing myself for not being SUPER human.

I am getting excited about Sunday. Still a little nervous, but I have had such an overwhelming amount of support its been so incredible. I think it has helped me get some perspective on what really matters. I am planning to stop by a fellow's house tonight. I am essentially saying good-bye.

He has been fighting a disease the entire time I have known him (almost 18 months) and he is not doing well. Liver transplant fell through and now he's dying. I wasn't best friend's with him or anything, but I have a real respect and love for him and I know now is the time, the last chance, to share that with him. I will definitely be thinking of him on Monday as I put one foot in front of the other and take the journey bravely, as he has.

God Bless you, Mark G!

No comments:

Post a Comment